top of page

Historic Norville House on Maple Street in Shelby undergoes repair work

The historic Norville House on Maple Street has been owned by the Historic Shelby Foundation since 2006. Since then, modest repairs were made and for years, it was a rental property.


In the past few years, the board decided to discontinue the rental of this property.


Now that the home is empty, our focus now is stabilization, cleanup, and clean out efforts for this 1910 mill house with a vernacular structure and some Gothic Revival proportions and details throughout.





The house is a simple 5 room, balloon frame. Features include a steep hip roof with a prominent front gable and centered window, an asymmetrical front facade with two front doors ( a feature to simplify shift workers’ comings and goings ) and a handsome porch, large original 2-over-2 double hung windows on the north and south elevations, rear porch ( partially open, partially enclosed ), kitchen / bathroom ell that has been remodeled in the past, central back-to-back fireplaces in front rooms, tongue and groove painted pine ceilings ( 10’ high ) and walls, pine floors, simple mantles, Victorian moldings and trim.


At this time, we have hosted volunteer workdays and a member of Boy Scout Troop 100, Brett Morgan, has used this work for part of his Eagle Scout project. His grandfather was the Mr. Norville for whom the house is named. This spring, James Petrilli, also a member of this troop, constructed a rain garden on the property.


This house requires complete and total renovation and rehabilitation. Our next steps are being determined by our current board.





Keep following along for updates on this small but historic home.

Comentarios


bottom of page